Wednesday 16 October 2013

"Listening to God"

Last Sunday, I 'sensed' the theme of the service was for me .... for us ... to see the 'Light of the World' .... with the worship songs starting to turn my thoughts to this concept.  Holy Spirit spoke to me throughout the worship time ... and it was awesome!  I believe we are to open our hearts to see Jesus in every situation .. to ask myself / ourselves as to what would He do? ... what opportunity was in this situation to shine His light to brighten or reveal the path for others? .... to be a good Samaritan / His hands (or the van ) extended to others in need?  His light does shine into the darkest places and shows the way to go.  Close your eyes and picture a flashlight (torch here if I remember correctly) ... and thought the beam may be limited or narrow, it does shine in order show a safe pathway to walk; He does the same .... but do I / we choose to follow??

Pastor's message .... "Listening to God"  .....and he said that when we do this, we can live a Godly life.  Amen to this truth!!  I wondered how many of us consistently do this ... make Him and time with Him my / our priority.  When I pause and think of my days .... I notice that on the days that I get up and rush ... too busy to make time with Him my priority ... well .... my day doesn't go as smoothly as it could.  I 'seem' unable to handle frustrations in the same way that I can when He's my moment-by-moment focus.  (Can any of you relate?)  When I can recognize that there IS a difference, I ask myself 'Why do I choose the way that leaves me open to failures, frustrations, pain, etc. ... when I really do know the better way?  And I must realize that I do have a choice ... even though it 'may' not seem like it.  I do!!  You do!!

David was a man after God's own heart ... and God commended him for being such a man ... with this label / description .... because he was always mindful of his God .... beginning as a youth tending his father's sheep .... through the years as he served Saul ... and still when he was the king.  David made a point of sitting before the Lord (2 Sam. 7) ... he waited on the Lord knowing that his God was faithful and would always answer him ... even though it was sometimes slowly.  David lived 'in touch' with God!!!  David sinned ... make mistakes .... but he humbly went to His God's feet .... with the proper response / attitude.  Do I?

Ps. 63 ... We were asked to recognize what is 'my' priority in life .. for this reveals a great deal about a person.  Is it the Lord and time with Him?  

Pastor talked about 'meditation' ... and challenged us to daily take 20 minutes to sit before the Lord .... no books ... no music .... no Bible ..... just 'me' and the Lord.  Ask Him a question ... and wait .. .patiently and expectantly wait for His answer.  He will ... but ... and it's a big BUT .... we sometimes have difficulty in hearing His voice because of preconceived ideas which we have.  Many years ago I first sat under the teaching of Mark Virkler ... and a few years ago attended a conference in Taiwan to learn more from this man.  Check out http://www.cwgministries.org/Four-Keys-to-Hearing-Gods-Voice ..... free teaching .... awesome ... and life-changing.  (I have the teaching from earlier versions of the books and mp3 as well as the conference in Taiwan if you want to see them.) 

As David did, we're to:
  1.  review the past .. to see the faithful hand of our Father throughout all our lives.
  2. look at the greatness of God .... His grace IS sufficient for me!
  3.  remember His promises (begin with Psalms 1 and 91 ... but His Word if full of promises for us to claim .... but do I / we .... enough .... or consistently?)
Today IS a new day with new mercies from Him.  Will I / we / you be found at His feet?  Will He be waiting .. and waiting ..... looking for each of us to come and rest within the shadow of His wings? Don't fool yourself; He is waiting!

Please, know that as I keyed up this simple 'thought' ... I've said a prayer ... that each of us would be blessed more today than yesterday ... because of drawing near to Him.  Blessings!

1 comment: